Thursday, March 20, 2014

Annotated Bibliographhy

1.  Belkin, Lisa. "The Opt-Out Revolution." New York TImes. The New York TImes Company, 28 Oct. 2003. Web. 20 Mar. 2014. <http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/26/magazine/26WOMEN.html>.
THe article discusses how many women who graduate from top colleges and Ivy League schools tend to stall their careers after marriage to have children.   I learned that there are still problems in society concerning women in the workforce in the sense that when women try to return to the workforce after taking time off to raise their children, they find it harder to return to their old jobs or receive the success that they had before having children.  Many women in STEM career fields face similar challenges as they have high ranking jobs.  It makes me think that I should explore how motherhood can have an effect on women pursuing STEM
fields.

2.  Warner, Judith. "The Opt-Out Generation Wants Back In." New York Times. The New York TImes Company, 7 Aug. 2013. Web. 20 Mar. 2014. <http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/11/magazine/the-opt-out-generation-wants-back-in.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&>.
THe article discusses how many of the women who dropped out of the workforce from high ranking jobs are having trouble reentering the workforce after taking time off for their children.  Like the first article, this relates to how women in the STEM fields face similar challenges after they leave their jobs for similar reasons.  I hope to do more reserach by comparing the careers of women who did and did not leave the workforce to raise their children

3.  Dubow, Wendy M. "Bringing Young Women into Computing Through the NCWIT Aspirations in Computing Program." Communications of the ACM 56.12 (2013): 34-37. EbscoHOst. Web. 20 Mar. 2014.
THis article focuses on the NCWIT and the steps they ave taken to promote women participation in computer science.  I learned about how organizations are attempting to help young girls foster their interests in STEM related fields such as computer science.  I also learned about the problems women face in the male dominated fields of computer science.  I want to use this and other articles to further my reserach into the inequality between men and women in STEM careers.

4.  United States. Congress. House. Committee on Science and Technology (2007). Subcommittee on Research and Science Education. Fulfilling the Potential of Women in Academic Science and Engineering Act of 2008 [electronic Resource] : Hearing before the Subcommittee on Research and Science Education, Committee on Science and Technology, House of Representatives, One Hundred Tenth Congress, Second Session, May 8, 2008. Vol. 55. N.p.: Washington: U.S. G.P.O, 2008, n.d. EbscoHOst. Web. 20 Mar. 2014.
This article discusses a hearing before the House of Representatitves encouraging measures to be taken to encourage all women interested in Science and ENgineering to pursue careers in those fields.  I learned about possible ideas that would help fulfill this goal.  I hope to expand upon this and other ideas in my research.

5.  Wieserman, Katherine C., and Molly H. Weinburgh. Women's Experiences in Leadership in K-16 Science Education Communities, Becoming and Being. 1st ed. Vol. 1. New York: Dordrecht, 2009. Ser. 1. EbscoHost. Web. 20 Mar. 2014.
This book discusse the experiences of women teaching science to those in elemtary school, middle school, and college.  It shows the experiences women science teachers have engaging their students in the material, encouraging other young girls to pursue science fields, and how it is harder for them to obtain jobs teaching science.  THis could provide an interesting take on the science education and how it relates to women.

6.  Broadening Participation The Status of Women of Color in Computer Science

This article looks into why women of color are under represented in the STEM fields in the United States.  I learned about statistics concerning black and hispanic women and the frequency that they earned degrees in computer science.  I also learned of possible reasons why black and hispaic women do not experience the same exposure to science and technology as white women.  I would like the include the experiences of minority women of science in my reasearch

7.  Ong, Maria. "Broadening Participation The Status of Women of Color in Computer Science."Communications of the ACM 54.7 (2011): 32-34. EbscoHost. Web. 20 Mar. 2014.
This article explains unconscious bias and how it could possibly be affecting the number of women students in faculty in STEM fields.  I learned of possible solutions that could overcome this bias.  I hope to include more information on unconscious bias and on these solutions in my paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment