It was
Saturday June 4th , 2011. I had just graduated from Olentangy
Liberty High school. As my family and friends began to hug and congratulate me
I began to become upset. I should have been happy I had been waiting to finish
grade school and go to college for the past twelve years. If I had reached this
milestone, why were there tears falling from my eyes? Was it that I was upset
about leaving all of my friends that I had grown up since kindergarten with?
Was it that I was nervous of leaving the only town I’ve ever known? Or, was it
that I was simply terrified of how my life was going to change once I left the
comfort zone of the “Powell Bubble?”
The
summer after my graduation began to fly by quickly. One by one my friends began
to pack up all their belongs and leave for the next step in their lives. Many
of my friends are college athletes, therefore they had to leave for school in
late June or early July. This left me having to say goodbye to all of my
closets friends while I was still stuck in the “Powell Bubble,” especially
since Ohio University was on quarters and would not start school until
September.
Now, one
may ask what the “Powell Bubble” is. Basically, it is socially constructed term
that describes the community of Powell, a suburb of Columbus, Ohio, that I grew
up in. Powell is a relatively new community that is rapidly growing every year.
Powell, Ohio lacks diversity with only 11% of the student population being
non-white. The socio-economic status is made up of families from the
upper-middle class. It is not uncommon to see brand new high-class cars in the
student parking lot at the high school, and students wearing designer clothing.
Needless to say, I grew up in an unrealistic society.
As it
became time for me to leave the “Powell Bubble” and move in to my dorm at Ohio
University, I became more and more uneasy. What if my roommate and I don’t get
along? Am I going to find friends as good as my friends from home? What if I
don’t like my major? These questions and many more ran through my head as move
in day approached. When the day finally did come, my parents and I headed down
to Athens, Ohio with two car loads filled of stuff that I would soon find out
would not all fit in my tiny dorm room. After I unpacked all of my belongings
and was settled in the tears from my mom’s face and mine began to fall. I had
waited for this day my entire life, why was I so upset?
The
first few weeks of school were almost like a movie to me. My college experience
had so far consisted of partying, drinking, and barely sleeping. I had been
immersed into a entirely new culture that I was never exposed to while living
in the “Powell Bubble.” I soon began to forget about the life I was so upset
about leaving behind, including my long-term high school boyfriend. He was attending
a different school and was experiencing a different college experience than I
was. Our differences and distance quickly became between us and ended up
causing our relationship to fall apart. At the time I wasn’t phased by the
breakup, but little did I know I would think otherwise down the road.
I had
been thinking about rushing a sorority before I came to Ohio University, so
when formal sorority recruitment came along I decided to register. I went
through the two long, tiring weekends of small talk and house tours. It was
almost like speed dating but with girls. Even though I went to nine different
chapters, I only was interested in one throughout the whole formal recruitment
process. When bid day came along I was more nervous than I ever thought I would
be. What if the chapter I love didn’t love me? What if I get into the chapter
that I disliked? As my rho gamma, my recruitment guide, handed me my bid day
card I opened slowly praying for the name of my dream sorority to be on that
car. When I read, “the Ohio Alpha chapter of Pi Beta Phi would like to extend
to you a bid,” I was ecstatic. I finally had the opportunity to meet new close
girlfriends like the ones I had in the “Powell Bubble.”
Becoming a member of Pi Beta Phi was the best decision of my college
career. I not only gained 120 new friends but sisters. Even though I had just
met these women I had felt as if we had known each other our whole lives. I
began to tell my sisters things that I had never even told my high school
friends. Over the next few months, I
found out what it meant to have a home away from home. I had a place that I
could go when I was bored in-between classes. I had 100 plus girls to text when
I didn’t want to go to the dining hall alone. I had other girls who had been through
tougher things than I could have ever imagined going through, and so I learned
from them. I made friends with girls who had grown up in totally different
religions, cultures, and worlds than I had (because contrary to popular belief,
there are actually sororities that are comprised of more than just your
average rich white girl), and you liked learning about things I had never
experienced. I took note of the girl whose parents had gone through an ugly
divorce when she was young, and wondered how she ever got through it. I met the
girl whose best friend had died in a drunk driving accident in high school, and
was amazed at the way she had channeled her energy into preventing others from
experiencing the same fate by speaking at school assemblies. I met the girl
whose parent was dying of cancer, and I didn’t reprimand her or judge her when
she dealt with it by blacking out on a nightly basis. I just tucked her into
bed and sat with her while she sobbed and realized your heart could ache for
one of your friends as if the pain was your own. My sisters had opened up to me
and I to them, and by the end of my freshman year I was panicking about having
to say goodbye to them for summer break.
Summer could not have gone
slower, it seemed like I was separated from my sisters for twelve months
instead of three. Saying goodbye to my high school friends was a piece of cake
now that I had made 100 plus friends back at school. These women had changed my
perspective of leaving the comfort zone of the “Powell Bubble” and made me
excited for the next steps of life that I would experience after graduation.
Without this women I would not have stayed at Ohio University, decided to
change my major, or gotten over that high school boyfriend that I brought up
before. I am incredibly blessed to be a part of such an amazing organization as
Pi Beta Phi. My sisters have made me into a better version of myself.
1. No, I would maybe suggest "Escaping the Bubble"
ReplyDelete2. I think he intro is very engaging and is an appropriate way to connect to the rest of her paper.
3. The main theme of this essay is about growing up in a small town and moving away to school, leaving behind friends and family. The theme is very clear as she talks about the new experiences of college.
4. Yes, she establishes enough context in regards to when and where. At the very beginning she talks about her high school graduation, and later talks about moving into her dorm room.
5. Her descriptive elements are effective in her paper by using a lot of details and some sensory language.
6. Yes, she provides enough details for the reader to follow so they can understand the theme and different experiences that support it.
7. I think her essay is very well organized.
8. Yes, she uses transitions to help the reader see how points are connected.
10. Yes, she includes a personal reflection.
11. No, she has not included sources yet. I would suggest interviewing someone who has also experienced this.
12. She has not completely finished her paper yet, so there is not a conclusion.
13. I think she did a good job of integrating visual elements, but I think she could use more as she finishes her final essay.
14. No, she does not have a works cited page yet.
15. I really enjoyed reading this essay. It is very well written, with some minor spelling errors here and there. But Taylor did a great job of describing her experiences through the theme of leaving the bubble of her hometown and moving away to college. I enjoyed reading about her experience in Pi Phi, I could tell that it means a lot to her and that it has contributed to her experience at OU. I also liked that she incorporated a relationship with a high school boyfriend because I can also relate to that situation. I'm really excited to read the rest when it's finished! I would just suggest maybe talking about how your summer after freshman year went and how you transitioned back home away from your new friends, incorporating more ideals about the "bubble." I think the strongest aspect of this essay is the theme and how she used certain experiences to relate it to the theme. I don't think there's anything that needs improvement, but as you finish your essay keep using detail and relate your experiences back to your new life.