Kayla Riley
First
Draft
For
my paper I want to focus on how my mother has helped to change my outlook on
life and how to act. I have always been very close with my mother. She is a lot
younger than all of my friend’s parents, being only 43 with three kids all in there
twenties. One of the things I’ve always respected most about her is that even
though she started her family young she found a way to support her family and
raise three kids right. Don’t get me wrong my father was a big part of this as
well but this paper isn’t entirely about him. My mother is a very strong willed and confident woman. She
is the type of women who sets her mind to something and achieves it. I have
never seen her give up on anything and she is never satisfied with “just
settling” always strives to do better for herself. She started off as a young
bartender with three kids and husband in the police force. Wasn’t until I was
around 4 years old that my mother decided to become a police officer as well.
You’re probably thinking “whoa two police officer parents must have been strict
in that house.” Which wasn’t necessarily true, yeah we were punished and
grounded a majority of our teenage years but for some reason having both our
parents as police officers made my brothers and myself think we had this
immunity; a feeling as if we were above the law. Have to admit there were times
when we got in trouble and immediately turned to mommy or daddy to make it go
away and it always did. So, for that we were truly lucky.
In
order to get more into this I have to tell you about my siblings as teenagers.
There is a saying that goes something like the oldest paves the way for the
other siblings and this held so much truth in our family. My oldest brother is
my best friend and I love him to death but he was the child that was every
parent’s nightmare. I am 4 years younger than him so I have seen just about
everything he has done and learned what was punishable by basically eternal
grounding. For example, when I was in 7th grade he was a sophomore
in high school; he had already began drinking and was turning into that
rebellious teenage stage where he thought he could get away with anything. He
never has been strong student and to this day school didn’t prove to work out
for him, so in high school his grades always tended to slack. One night, it was
a Thursday night on a school night; my parents went to band practice (Cleveland
Pipes and Drums). They had decided to stay out a little longer for some kind of
football game was on that night. Danny (my oldest brother) had decided to throw
a party and invite over all his friends that night to come and drink. Knowing
how my father is and how mad I had seen him get before about Danny drinking I
asked him why he was doing this he told me “I got my report card yesterday, I
am going to be grounded anyways might as well make it worth it.” This was when I
saw a whole new outlook to my young life.
After
this a series of events took place. My brother Colin was taken home by the
police in 8th grade for drinking, Danny was grounded every other
week because if he was already grounded what else could they do “reground him?”,
Colin was hospitalized and received an underage, Danny received his first
underage, our house was the go to house in high school for “Riley House
Parties” (there was even a face book page for tall the people who liked to
attend) and many more stories I don’t even have time to explain. My brothers
were the reason I was introduced to drinking and were the ones influencing me
to be as dumb as possible. Safe to say our parents hated us. We were punished for everything we did.
These weren’t just any groundings either I am talking all summer long stuck
inside the house forced to do what seemed like slave labor to make up for what
we did. People joked and would call us “CinerRiley” because of the chores and
punishments we faced.
As
I said my parents were very young so it is not like they didn’t drink or do
anything except punish us. They had their share of fun. Every family event or
social outing was always surrounded by alcohol. I was the little 5 year old who
used to charge my parents friends a dollar to go retrieve them a beer out of
the cooler. Alcohol and partying as always had been around me. I grew up
learning how not to get caught, what would get me caught, and how to get out of
getting caught drinking.
When
coming to OU I had knowledge about the “party school” rep. Some people fight it and say that’s a
misconception but we don’t always do a good job of proving that wrong. Things
such as a well known fest season and videos posted from students such as this one
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf0y_La_ij0 , do not help make us look any better. I do not think there
is anything wrong with being apart of a party school as long as you get your
work done. Just because things happen out of class does not mean our academics
are treated differently because we like to have fun. I enjoy being apart of a campus
that can have a good time.
I
was not worried coming here because from my past experiences I knew how to take
care of myself. I considered my high school years as my training in a way to be
able to come here and keep up with everyone else. Some of my friends I have met
in school had no idea how to take care of themselves. They all faced the law at
some point and were completely clueless when it came to what they could and
could not do when out. I have to admit that my parents were the reason I have
not gotten in any trouble. At the
time our month long groundings seemed cruel and unfair but they shaped me to be
the person I am. I am happy that I was punished because it gave me a level head
and taught me how to do the right thing in certain situations. A big reason for
me trying to be on my best behavior is because I know how it felt to disappoint
my parents and I never wanted to do that again.
From
this you can see I kind of had a pretty bad attitude coming into school. I was
cocky and thought I was cool because I already was experienced when it came to
“partying” and saw myself as someone who liked to have a good time but could
get away with anything. Drinking was a big part of my social life and majority
of my activities with family and friends revolved around alcohol. Wasn’t until
this past year I finally realized it was time to take it easy.
Within
the past year or so the strongest woman I know got weak, my mother. Our family
purchased a bar, which had always been ideal since we were the fun family who
everyone wanted to have a good time with so we figured why not stop the house
parties and make some money from our drinking. But, my mother began drinking a
significant amount more than she used too. She let alcohol take over her life
and started to lose touch with whom she is. It was a hard year and having to
deal with seeing someone you’ve looked up two your whole life, as a completely
different person was one of the hardest things I had ever experienced. I was not patient with her and took it
the hardest out of my whole family. The day she finally called me and told me
that she would be “going away for awhile”, meaning off to rehab, I responded
“good” and she immediately busted into tears and apologized for everything.
Sounds too simple but right then and there I forgave her for everything she put
us through and knew my mother would be back soon. Like I stated before once she
sets her mind to something she will achieve it so she took help very seriously
and is now doing better than ever and even up for a promotion at work.
Since
she got help our house dynamic has changed. There no longer is any alcohol
inside and we no longer drink there. Family parties only consist of maybe one
casual drink but otherwise they are cut short and we are out of there early. Owning
the bar has turned to strictly business and hardly any fun. All these
adjustments are made for her and we respect them in order to make sure she
never feels uncomfortable. It’s almost as if we are babying her now but that
doesn’t bother us. She has shown so much strength and dedication that I once
again see the woman I have always cherished.
This
all opened my eyes to the “party school” lifestyle. I saw how much I hated the
way my mom acted and promised myself I would never let myself get to that
level. This year I stopped being the sneaky party girl role I had been playing.
My friends always titled me as the “mom” of the group making sure that everyone
is taken care of or stays out of trouble. With my experiences I have started to
open my eyes to the importance of focusing on work and not just fun. Yeah, it
is okay to let loose every now and then but current goal is to make my parents
proud and put my schoolwork first.
1. Yes
ReplyDelete2. The intro was great, you got my attention right away. I wanted to keep reading it
3. The theme is how you grew up with alcohol always being in the picture and how you have grown and learned from the mistakes that alcohol has brought to your family and you. The theme was very clear, I was never second guessing what you were talking about.
4.Yes. You talked about the high school parties that were at your house and the bar that your family opened.
5. I like how you put in the # fest video, to describe how big of a party school OU is.
6.yes you provided good details about your experiences
7.No your organization is one of the things that made your paper so good, it flowed very well.
8. Yes her transitions were awesome, your made the transition to each paragraph very easy and understandable.
9.Yes, she put herself into the paper and described what she learned from her parents and her brothers.
10.She needs 2 more sources. her one was the youtube video of the # fest.
11. The conclusion does provide closure, it answered what she learned and how it shaped her life and turned her outlook on alcohol around.
12.I like the video, she could put pictures of her family and the bar that her family opened.
13. no
14. This paper was very well written. I made me think about my family parties and how much alcohol makes an impact on families. I have never had an experience where i got in trouble with the cops but my younger brother did and i remember how mad my parents were. I liked how you put your feelings and emotions into this paper and showed who you are today because of all of it. GREAT JOB!!!