Mitch Hovan
English - 3060J
Final Essay
Privileged
Most
individuals while growing up hardly ever sit down and realize all that they
have and are thankful, because in reality their lives could be much worse.
Instead, kids and young adults analyze what they do not have, and come to
desire these things to the point of it affecting their personalities for better
or worse. “It’s truly sad when you look at the big picture – young adults do
not realize how good they have it. Even the poorest of the poor here in America
live a life a thousand times better than the poor in developing countries”
(Shah). Some use their desires as motivation to help them succeed in hopes of
one day being able to obtain what they long for, while others slip into
jealousy and turn away from the ones who possess what they want. Still being
young myself, I cannot say when that level of maturity sets in for most people
to realize how blessed they are with what they are given. What I can tell you
is that those that become bitter with envy can affect the ones who are looked
at as privileged.
Fortunately,
and unfortunately, while growing up my family was one of the few that everyone looked
upon with judgment, good and bad. The small, close-nit, farm town that I moved
to and grew up in didn’t offer much, so the community and its gossip was all it
really had. The town would be rated as average on its best day, so anyone with
any money at all stood out like a sore thumb, and became the talk of the town.
With almost all who had any money being elderly, that left me and maybe one or
two other families who fell into this boat of judgment. It is not that we are
“rich” by any means, more like big fish in a small pond, but we have and do things
that some simply cannot afford. With that being said, most friends, classmates,
and neighbors are jealous, and their opinions, which sometimes lead to actions,
affected me in different ways as I grew up, and ultimately made me into the man
I am today.
The
most prominent example that I can give that not only set me apart from my
peers, but I believe is one of the first signs that would make anyone stand out
among others, is the home in which they live. My parents built an elegant home
on a lake that has been known to make jaws drop. Not just because of size, but
because of how they went the extra mile in even the smallest of details. Over 7,000
square feet in size, the house offers a six car garage, five bedrooms with four
and a half baths, a theatre room, game room, and even a lookout tower. There is
even a bridge connecting one side of the house to the other. The house is also
completely rigged up as a “smart house” so there are surveillance cameras all
inside and outside the house, display screens present in most rooms that have
total control of those cameras, locking doors, turning off lights, and
controlling which rooms of the house to even play music in. And if that is not
enough as far as safety goes, there are even secret rooms and passages! But as
great as all that may sound, the house definitely stands out among all others
in the area, and so it brought a lot of unwanted attention my way while growing
up.
I can remember hundreds of separate
occasions growing up where people made comments or did things that still stick
with me today based on either my fortune, or someone else’s. Things that I
still look back on and base decisions off of. Friends and teachers with their
remarks that almost made having money sound like a bad thing. Houses getting
egged and toilet papered because they were bigger than average. Rumors and
crazy stories were made up for those that the town was jealous of. It is
horrible to say, but some people even made it feel awkward by distancing
themselves simply because they did not feel like they matched up so to speak. “The
problems of the wealthy are exacerbated by the phenomenon of schadenfreude, the
pleasure we seem to get from seeing others—especially very successful
people—experiencing pain or humiliation. The wealthy are highly aware of these
attitudes, and therefore are subjected to additional stress as they try to
avoid the stigma” (Munger). I like to think though that these comments and
actions that were sometimes directed on my family and I and even others helped
me mature and be thankful for all that I was blessed with early on. I just find
it sad and irritating that the reason behind it is because we were labeled as
“rich” by some.
I am
fortunate enough that I have been able to travel the world and explore many different
countries and what they have to offer, own an elegant car, live in a beautiful
home, and buy nice things, but growing up I would have given it all up just to
fit in and feel normal with my peers. Now I say that, and it sounds dramatic, but
it is not entirely true. That is what goes through my head on a regular basis, more
or less as a “what if” kind of scenario, but when it actually comes down to
making certain decisions, I can say that I bring a little attention to myself
when I get caught up in the moment and succumb to taking advantage of what is
being offered. One example being when I bought my first car.
I was able to pick out the car that I
wanted right before I turned sixteen, and boy did I not hold back! I chose a
brand new (then 2008) fully loaded Audi TT Coupe, and even had some aftermarket
work done to it. A decision that to this day haunts me because I go back and
forth on what I would do if I could do it all over again, and what may have
come (or not have came) from me getting a more average car. My car has brought
me just as much pain as joy. Not only did my friends get extremely jealous when
they themselves were driving around in old beat up cars and trucks, but even the
adults in the community such as my teachers and coaches did not have anything
that nice. In and after school my teachers would make snotty remarks about the
car and give me a hard time based strictly off of jealousy. The same came from
my peers. My old football coach even refused to start me my entire freshman
year because he said that I thought I was better than everyone on the team
based solely on the car I drove. It was very hurtful, and I quickly had to
learn how to try and rebuttal the comments with excuses as to how I came about
the car. I ended up telling everyone that it was actually my mother’s, and I
just got to drive it most of the time.
That
same basic story carries over into much more than just my car; anything nice that
I have ever bought or received I have usually concocted some exaggerated or
embellished story to ward off friends and peers as to how I got it, simply to
avoid their idiotic commentary filled with jealousy. Opposed to just admitting
that mommy and daddy bought it for me. And yes, I have been caught in a lie
before, which obviously did not end well or help the cause. A
research team led by Dr. Suniya Luthar, Professor of Clinical and Developmental
Psychology at Columbia University’s Teachers College, has been exploring the
links and potential causes of the problems of affluent teens since a study in
1999 uncovered the frightening facts. Comparing 10th graders from low-income
inner city families with high-income suburban families, Luthar’s data revealed
that the wealthy children were even more vulnerable than their low-income counterparts
(MacMannis). This information just goes to show the struggle that I went
through, and so it did not take me long to realize that maybe the best solution
to these dilemmas was to just turn down anything that I believed could bring
jealousy, and try to be as average as possible. So that is actually what I did
most of the time, and I still do today.
To this day I purposely do and do not do things, slip in unnecessary comments
in conversations or withhold from saying anything at all, and act as humble as
I can to give off the impression that I am no better than anyone else.
I have gotten much better with this
now that I am away at college, and most of the people I have met and that I
meet are way better off than those in my home town, so the scale is much more
even. But growing up having to go out of my way just to fit in and be accepted definitely
shaped me in a way that is much different than what most go through. I truly
believe that those that ridiculed me out of envy for having more money than
them made me a stronger person, and is also the reason that I go out of my way
to help people when I can.
Despite
a lot of the crap that I had to deal with before college, it was not always as hard
as it may sound. A great deal of positive came from it actually. My father was
a prominent figure in the community that people looked up to, and with me being
his son, I got my fair share of special treatment. In school teachers would
hold me to a higher standard which I believe helped push me to try harder and
ultimately do better. Outside of school anytime I went to get a job, I was usually
hired on the spot. Employers would just assume that I was a hardworking man
like my father, and that I would follow in his footsteps, so that enabled me to
get more job experience than most. Many little things fell into my lap you
could say strictly from what people inferred from my financial background.
All
in all though, I truly appreciate the privileged life that I was blessed with,
and would not actually give it up or trade it to avoid the bad that may have
come with it. In time, those that gave me hardship in the past will come to
their senses and realize how immature it was for them to dwell on my life and
what I had over them. I only wish it would have come much sooner. People need
to learn to transfer that envy and desire into motivation to help them succeed
and work for what they want, instead of just hoping that it is one day handed
to them. We all also need to be thankful for everything we have when compared
to those around the world and those in developing countries; certainly there
are others far worse off than we could ever imagine. I certainly learned a
great deal and matured early on from my experiences growing up, and I hope I
take that humbling knowledge with me the rest of my life and am able to pass it
on to my kids.
Work Cited:
MacMannis, Don, and Debra MacMannis. "." Healthy,
Wealthy & Wise? 5 Myths About Rich
Kids. How's Your Family,
28 Aug. 2013. Web. 29 Apr. 2014.
<http://howsyourfamily.com/healthy-wealthy-wise-5-myths-about-rich-kids/>.
Munger, Dave. "Are rich kids more troubled than
poor kids?." Cognitive Daily. N.p., 9 Mar. 2005.
Web. 29 Apr. 2014.
<http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedaily/2005/03/09/are-rich-kids-more-troubled-th/>.
Shah, Anup. "Poverty Around The World." -
Global Issues. N.p., 20 July 1998. Web. 29 Apr. 2014.
<http://www.globalissues.org/article/4/poverty-around-the-world>.
No comments:
Post a Comment