It’s Friday
night and I’m at a party. Despite the warm August air and cheery banter of my high
school classmates, I’m less than happy. If anything, I feel lonely and
self-conscious. I made some small talk earlier on with a German exchange
student and a girl whom I went to elementary school with, but that only lasted
for twenty minutes. Now, students are forming tighter circles of conversation
and I’m becoming a mere observer of the scene. I begin to ask myself questions:
Why am I the only one who’s having a horrible time? Why is it so difficult for
me to talk to people? Am I abnormal because of these things? Then, I notice the
music that’s playing in the background. It’s Lonerism, an album from an Australian band that I like called Tame
Impala. I listen as Kevin Parker sings lyrics about his own introversion and
social anxiety––lyrics that perfectly complement my predicament. I feel
comforted, if only for the duration of the rest of the album.
⌘
I
grew up as an only child with an overprotective mother. At first, this
frustrated me. I desperately wanted to play outside with other elementary
school kids and go to their sleepovers and parties. With time, however, I
learned to quell this desire and enjoy the quiet time that I spent by myself
instead, reading books, playing with stuffed animals, and watching cartoons. I always
felt completely at ease in these situations––free to think and do whatever I
pleased without fear of outside judgment. This often led to moments of
self-discovery. I recall on one occasion that I became curious about a keyboard
that was collecting dust in our guest room when I was five years old. I decided
to pick it up and play it one day, producing a cacophony of notes that only I
could find to be pleasing. If not for this experimentation in my alone time, I
would’ve never known that I took an interest in piano––a hobby that I ended up
pursuing for eight years.
After
some time, I noticed that I was somewhat different in the way that I behaved in
comparison with my peers. I was never rambunctious or silly like the rest of them.
Instead, I was quite serious in my demeanor and also very quiet and studious. My
elementary school teachers loathed the fact that I rarely spoke up in class.
Nearly every time I tagged along on parent-teacher conference nights, they
would comment that they wished that I could “just speak up a little more.” Once
I began taking gymnastics lessons, I was faced with a similar predicament. “I
swear, one of these days I’m going to force you to have a shouting match with
me,” my coach would tell me on nights when I was particularly quiet. I’d always
smile a bit when she said this so that she wouldn’t think I was being impolite
or disrespectful, but I was terrified on the inside.
Everything
became worse once I entered middle school. Suddenly, it seemed that everyone’s
confidence had swelled––everyone’s except for mine, at least. Students in my
English class offered their opinions on difficult literature without
hesitation, while I could only mumble responses when forced. During lunchtime, I
politely talked with any of the new students from other elementary schools who
approached me, but otherwise I couldn’t bring myself to start conversations
with anyone. I didn’t socialize much outside of school either. Besides
attending gymnastics practices on weeknights, I stayed home the majority of the
time, either studying or reading. Those few times when I did go to dances or
sleepovers, I found them to be somewhat enjoyable, but not anything terribly
exciting.
When
I noticed that others were ridiculing my behavior in subtle ways, I began to
berate myself for my personality as well. The most common criticism came from
my peers, who complained about the fact that I rarely tagged along with them on
their outings. Initially, they attributed this to my overprotective parents,
but later on they made jabs that I found to be much more personal, such as the
fact that I was a “studious Asian.” My teachers also made somewhat rude
comments about my personality, especially in front of the class. I still
remember one incident in which my eighth grade computer applications teacher
incessantly criticized my “under confident” posture and “inaudible” speaking
voice throughout the entirety of my ten-minute long presentation. When I got
home that day, I cried for an hour and convinced myself that something was
wrong with me. Though the rest of my teachers weren’t nearly as cruel, many of
them did pull me aside after class at least once to tell me that I should “stop
being shy” because I was “too smart for that.” Again, I felt as though I was
abnormal––being assertive and extroverted was apparently something that I was
supposed to become overnight, and yet I just couldn’t do it.
I
reached my lowest point in my first year of high school: my parents divorced,
my mother left, and I quit gymnastics. I felt as if I had lost most of my
identity––I had spent so much time with my mother throughout my life, and I had
assumed from a young age that I would continue to be a competitive gymnast
through college. At school, I was lonelier than ever. No one was aware of my
situation, and even if they had been, I knew that none of them would have understood
the way that I felt. Often times, I was too depressed to hold genuine
conversations with other people, and I rarely felt like leaving the house. On
top of all of this, I was self-conscious about the fact that I had gained
weight after quitting gymnastics and that I was still struggling to get over my
shyness. I was more reclusive than ever.
When
sophomore year arrived, I was still lost. That is, until I decided to visit a
record store one weekend in October. I purchased the first CD that caught my
eye: Favourite Worst Nightmare by a
British band named Arctic Monkeys. I played it as soon as I got home, and
suddenly I was in awe––never before had I cared for music, but the guitar riffs
and scrappy vocals on this album sounded absolutely perfect to me. I recall that I found
the subject matter of one song in particular, “Teddy Picker,” to be intriguing.
The lyrics argue against mainstream culture, mindless fame, and––in a subtler
way––extroversion. This surprised me because assertiveness and extroversion are
often perceived as positive attributes in our country. For the first time, I realized
that being introverted wasn’t necessarily something that I should feel ashamed
about, and that being extroverted had its downfalls too.
Teddy Picker - Arctic Monkeys
In
the coming months, I became interested in other bands of a similar genre as
Arctic Monkeys. As it turned out, many of these groups addressed topics such as
shyness and social anxiety in their songs. One of the best examples of this is
the Smiths, a British band from the early eighties. In the single “Ask,”
Morrissey sings, “Shyness is nice, and shyness can stop you from doing all the
things in life you’d like to”––words that perfectly reflected my personal
frustrations when I was fifteen.
Ask - The Smiths
Another great
example is Tame Impala, the Australian group that I mentioned earlier. Practically
every song from the band is chock-full of lyrics discussing loneliness, awkwardness,
and shyness. Though these lyrics sometimes express frustration and sadness,
many times they are also optimistic and accepting. For instance, in “Solitude
Is Bliss,” Kevin Parker makes this statement about his introversion: “Space
around me where my soul can breathe…Nothing else matters; I don’t care what I
miss. Company’s okay; solitude is bliss.”
Solitude Is Bliss - Tame Impala
By
listening to songs such as these and gaining more life experience, I’ve become
the person who I am today: still very timid and slightly frustrated by my
shyness, but ultimately much more accepting of the fact that I’m introverted. I
no longer care when people complain to me that I’m not social enough, and I
never feel guilty for enjoying the time that I spend alone. Most importantly, I
now recognize the benefits of being introverted. Reading various Internet
articles allowed me to discover these advantages, as well as reflecting on my
own experiences. A piece called “Better Off Alone”
from Rookie Mag––in which contributor Hazel Cills delineates similar
experiences and sentiments as the ones mentioned in this paper––is a good
example of one of those articles. In this essay specifically, Cills explains
that “spending so much time alone actually helped [her] define who [she is]”––a
statement that I can relate to quite well. As I explained earlier, I feel as
though solitude has led me to moments of self-discovery––not only for trying piano
as a child, but also for learning about various topics that interest me (e.g.
feminism), figuring out my music taste as a teenager, and picking up my latest
hobby: bass guitar.
1. Perhaps one of the song titles/lyrics such as "Company is Okay, Solitude is Bliss"
ReplyDelete2. The intro pulls you into the story and brings you into her life, the final sentence ties everything together nicely and introduces the theme of music well
3. She discusses how her introversion affected her growing up in different aspects of her life. She provides a lot of good examples from different times in her life. I really like the way music was tied in, especially that she included the actual songs.
4. Each new time period, such as different points in middle and high school, are introduced and put into context before she dives back into the story and ties it into the central theme.
5. There are a lot of details, sensory language, and comments from coaches and teachers that really bring the story to life. I found this essay to be very beautifully written and I wanted to keep reading.
6. She gives a lot of personal details and descriptive details that draw the reader in and make them feel like they know her.
7. The organization was chronological and flowed very well, it was easy to follow.
8. The transitions introduced each new period of time clearly. My favorite was "I reached my lowest point in my first year of high school: my parents divorced, my mother left, and I quit gymnastics. I felt as if I had lost most of my identity" because it was personal and made me wanting to know more.
10.In her intro and conclusion, she shows how her introversion has influenced her life and actually helped her. She discusses a lot of different times that her introversion affected her life. The only suggestion I would have would be to possibly elaborate on how it has helped her at the end.
11. She included one academic source so I would just suggest trying to figure out how to incorporate the other sources without messing up the awesome writing you already have.
12. I liked that, after talking about her struggles and then finding music and how it helped, she concluded by saying how her introversion has helped her. It was nice to see that, despite the negativity she received, she was able to find beauty in her introversion through music.
13. Right now, there are no visual elements but I really enjoyed the integration of music. I think that this should count in the same way because it fits in better with her story and gives the reader a way to connect with her story on a new level.
14. Not yet.
15. I think that you are an amazing writer because you have a talent for drawing the reader in and creating a 3-dimensional story with tons of sensory language. I found your story to be very compelling and found myself becoming emotionally invested throughout the essay. I think that the inclusion of music was perfect because it was central to the theme of the essay and really helped the reader understand your point of view. I recognize that this is a rough draft and that its not complete, so I would just say expand the conclusion and try to fit in more sources but don't compromise the integrity of the rest of your writing. Overall, very well done!