Wednesday, January 22, 2014
Sexual Images
Personally, I do not
perceive sexual images in any certain way. I try to look at it more from a
marketing standpoint that sex sells. Companies are just trying to attract
people to a certain product. If you put a picture of two people intimately
caressing each other and call it a perfume ad it gives the idea of the
closeness that scent can sell. If you were to see a realistic picture of
someone sniffing another person it would just come off awkward. Making things
sexy is a way to attract the viewer’s attention. They get into the minds of
other people and know how to catch someone’s eye. I think these images do
impact how other people perceive each other though. It sets certain standards
in society that are not easy to live up too. Women are supposed to be thin and
flawless, men are supposed to be muscular and mysterious. It sends a wrong
image and blinds how we should really look at one another. Even though it does
not personally affect me I still think sexual images play a role in how society
expects each other to act and look.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kayla, I agree with your statements. Those perfume commercials catch me off guard all the time, its perfume it's not gonna make you come off sexier, its made to make you smell good. The impact that these pictures, ads and other stuff have on people is crazy, people do unhealthy things to try and make themselves look like the pictures they see when in reality these models dedicate their lives to how they look and in the real world no one has time for that.
ReplyDeleteKayla, I also look at these kinds of images from a marketing stand point but we can all see how they are actually having a negative affect on how men and women perceive themselves and one another. Images like the ones we see in ads for perfumes and Victoria's Secret are setting outrageously high standards for the expectations of how men and women should look, which in my opinion is not morally correct. People should be able to live how they want to without anyone telling them that they are right or wrong for it.
ReplyDeleteKayla, this is similar to my response. I agree that these sexual advertisements definitely set a standard in society that we aren't able to live up to. Just like the video we saw in class, the models in these images are extremely altered from what they really look like. I also agree with what Jackie said about Victoria's Secret. Their advertisements are setting high standards for women that cannot be attained. However, women are still striving to look like the models they see, which is unrealistic, and unhealthy.
ReplyDelete