Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Sexual Images

I perceive sexualized images of men and women to mostly be used for advertising. The term "sex sells" comes to mind. I think that using sex as a tool to sell a product may influence how other men and women are perceived. Usually the men and women in the advertisements are fit and are the image of "perfection". This may influence those who view the images to aspire to look like them, or perhaps find a partner that resembles them. The image may also convince the viewer that someone who doesn't own or wear the product being advertised is unattractive. Ultimately, this can cause the viewer to perceive other men and women as objects as opposed to people, looking only for flaws in appearance.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that sexualized images are mostly seen in advertising. With so many companies using "sex sells" as a marketing technique I feel it is hard for the consumer to not perceive this in a negative way. Advertising like this plays a huge role in young girls and boys believing the way they look isn't the ideal way

    ReplyDelete