The way I perceive sexualized
images of men and women is different depending on the context of the image. I
say this because, if a sexualized image is used for an advertisement I do not
think twice about it because I know that “sex” sells. Yet, when I see a
sexualized image in art I try and think of it more in an intellectual way.
Maybe this is because I am a history major and I have had to study old
paintings, but when I see a sexualized image in art I try and figure out the
message the author was trying to portray. On the other hand, sexualized images
in advertisements also make me think that the people who agreed to be in the
advertisements do not mind having their bodies portrayed in that certain way.
The men and women who choose to be in these advertisements are supporting the
sexualized images they are portraying. For example, women you pose in a swim
suit magazine add are supporting the distorted photo shopped image that young
girls are striving to look like. In essence, I feel that sexualized images in
art are a whole different ballpark than sexualized images that are in the
media.
No comments:
Post a Comment