The way I perceive these
pictures is that these men and women are putting themselves out there to let photographer’s
painters and ads make money off of how they look. These people make their
images of men and women look a certain way to try to sell their product. For
example Nike has very fit, attractive men and women wearing their shoes and
clothing, showing off their muscular bodies. Victoria Secret has these really
skinny, perfect looking women selling their underwear and clothing. These women
working for victoria secret pose in away that make them look sexy and more
appealing. Looking at those kinds of pictures make people think that if they
are wearing that certain product that they will look like that. Every piece of
clothing looks different on everyone. I do think these images impact how other
men and women are perceived. When people see men and women looking flawless in
these images that’s how other people think they should look. They are supposed
to have perfect skin, body and hair. And frankly that is impossible no one is
perfect, everyone is beautiful in his or her own way, but that is hard for
people to understand when they see these images.
I agree with what you had to say. Companies use sex appeal to help promote their products and make you think you're going to look like this if you buy their product. They will do anything to try to trick you and make you feel like you are going to be the way that certain person looks and feels which is clearly impossible.
ReplyDeleteAllie, I think Victoria Secret and Nike were two perfect examples two power companies creating a specific desired image for males and females.I agree with you that no one can look perfect. Even as we see as the background videos we have watched in class those models are not even perfect. It's the make-up and editing that make them appear that way anyways so it is important for people to see that difference and remember they are just as attractive or beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI find Victoria Secret's marketing approach to be interesting because they often use elite models––Karlie Kloss, Barbara Palvin, etc.––who typically would not agree to work for retail stores, and then place them in advertisements wearing mainstream clothes to make their bodies seem attainable to the general public. I don't know how many women realize this, but I do agree with you that these images affect the way women perceive themselves.
ReplyDelete