Thursday, January 23, 2014

Sexualized Images

I agree with the other posts on this blog that sexualized images are primarily used for advertising. I'm thankful that being in college and taking classes like Sociology, Marketing and W&G Studies have helped me to see the messages behind these images and look deeper into them, who's behind them and what the agenda is. I typically perceive them in almost a sympathetic way, because the bodies we see in these images are being objectified and used for a purpose to sell something. That being said, I think it's harmful for younger girls & boys because they typically don't see them this way and are more perceptible to the influence of these images.

I think it can change our perceptions of men and women because it raises societal expectations of what the "ideal body" should be. Every time I get on Tumblr I see posts by girls and guys alike that might be a re-blog of an image from a fashion magazine, or a health and beauty magazine or blog, and they are typically accompanied by messages of, "I wish I looked like this." It's nice to see that women are fighting back against this hyper-sexualized marketing strategy by demanding more realistic and less objectified bodies, but there is still a majority of people, typically younger audiences that don't realize how unrealistic and unattainable they are

No comments:

Post a Comment