Tuesday, January 21, 2014
Ways of seeing
While I thought that this article had a tendency to over-analyze generalize at times, I found the interpretations of the artwork interesting. I have not taken many art classes and had not really given much thought to who the viewer was supposed to be and what their role was supposed to be when looking at the artwork. Because of this, I had not previously noticed how often women are portrayed as being "peeped" on, so to speak. Men may be the subject of a piece but they rarely seem to give their power to the viewer. Women, on the other hand, are often in vulnerable positions or seem to be caught in doing something, relinquishing control to the viewer. This article definitely has opened my eyes to the way I view ads and other visual art on a daily basis.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment