Thursday, January 23, 2014

Sexualized Images



Being the age that I am and having been a part of a generation that internet was so accessible, I have been exposed to sexualized images of men and woman for as long as I can remember. It’s not very often that I see an image during a commercial or in a magazine and put much thought into what the image is really implying because it has become so common in our society. We, as a culture, are so accustomed to our surroundings that we rarely stop to examine or challenge it unless something is out of the norm.

With that being said, when I am challenged to perceive these sexualized images of men and women I realize the affect they can have. I wasn’t truly aware of the effects the media had on me until I was much older. Young girls mimic their sexuality and identity off of these sexualized images of their role models they see in the media. It gives these girls the idea of what they need to do in order to be sexy. In turn, I believe this can give men unrealistic expectations for beauty (and vise-versa). Beautiful women appear on the cover of magazines half naked with excessive retouching, giving standards for young people’s perception of beauty. They are constantly comparing themselves and the other sex to these images. This has a major effect on self-esteem considering how much we value beauty and sexuality.

1 comment: