Monday, January 20, 2014
Ways of Seeing Response
When reading "Ways of Seeing", one line in particular struck me. "Men look at women. Women watch themselves being looked at." Although this excerpt was mostly about how women are portrayed in art, I believe this applies to a woman's daily life today. I think that how the author described women as objects in a painting or photo throughout history is still true. Though I wouldn't call Instagram art, I see a lot of women today taking and posting pictures of themselves in a way that is to gain the "appreciation" of a man. I think women today continue to be self aware (always watching themselves, as the author states) of how they appear to others and men specifically. Although a woman might feel comfortable and pretty in something she is wearing, she might change because she knows a man would like to see her in something else. I think the women's want for a man's approval that society has influenced for centuries is something that needs to change in order for women to have more confidence and respect for themselves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with what you said about how the text is mostly about women in art, but what Berger says can be related to women in society today as well. What girls choose to wear sends a message, and the quote "men look at women and watch themselves being looked at" supports this. A girl is not going to wear a dress and four inch heels because it is comfortable, she is wearing it to be noticed.
ReplyDeleteI agree completely with what you had to say in your paragraph. I believe woman are more to wear something that brings attention to them. They don't care if it's comfortable, they want the male attention. I like your last sentence and how you touched upon that if woman want to be taken seriously and have respect for themselves we need to change how we go about this. I definitely think this will never go away, but I do believe that it can be changed for the better.
ReplyDeleteI agree that Berger's viewpoints about the "male gaze" remain relevant today. The other day, I saw quite a few people online complaining about a Huffington Post article titled "23 [Fashion] Trends Guys Hate (But Women Love)"(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/18/clothing-guys-hate_n_4293315.html). This just goes to show that men still feel that they are the "principal protagonists"––that everything is made for their pleasure/amusement. As you said, this needs to change in order for women to gain more confidence in themselves.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you response to "Ways of Seeing" being mostly about art. I agree even more that it is not just in art, that these views of women are portrayed in todays society. It used to be important to get a mans approval of you and how you looked now you have something to prove to everyone. You said that this needs to change and women need to be more confident and I couldn't agree more. However I think that it is getting harder for women to do so because this has become such a judgmental society.
ReplyDelete