Tuesday, January 21, 2014
Ways of Seeing
My response is to "Ways of Seeing." This article was mainly referring to the views of men on women from an artist standpoint but I think in the terms of today it is still prevalent but on a much larger scale. What I found the most interesting was the line "The surveyor of women in herself is male: the surveyed female. Thus she turns herself into an object- and most particularly an object of vision: a sight." It is clear today that most women think of themselves as objects. They want to appear a certain way to everyone, male or female, from fear of being judged negatively. I hate this about our society it is so hard to be who you want because someone is always judging you, whether it is how you look or what you do, without knowing you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You're definitely right when you say that it's hard to be who you want out of fear of being judged. Not only for women, but for men as well. I can also say that it is hard not to judge people sometimes by their actions or appearance.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your comment and relate to the statement that this issue is at larger in our society today. Women, and men, are objectified in many different ways in our culture. I can testify and relate to the female side of the issue, due to the fact I am a woman, but I believe it's important to remember males are victims of this is issue, also.
ReplyDeletePreach! I agree with your post, society is so harsh.
ReplyDelete